Milio’s Fried Pickles
For the Spicy Mayo:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the Fried Pickles:
- Canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
- 2½ cups panko
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 40 Milio’s Dill Pickle Spears
1. Make the spicy mayo: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, Old Bay seasoning and cayenne. Season with salt. Set aside.
2. Pour enough oil into a 3-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan until it reaches a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°.
3. In a food processor, pulse the panko until finely ground.
4. Place the panko, flour and egg into 3 separate bowls. Stir the baking powder into the flour.
5. Working with one Milio’s Dill Pickle spear at a time, dredge in flour, allowing any excess to fall. Dip each pickle spear into the egg then coat evenly in panko bread crumbs.
6. Working in batches, fry the pickles, turning halfway through, until crisp and light golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickles and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season immediately with salt.
7. Serve with the spicy mayo.